MADRID, Sep. 18 (Moose Gazette) –
The Ukrainian authorities have indicated that so far about 60 bodies have been exhumed from a mass grave found in the town of Izium, located in the Kharkov region (east), after the withdrawal of Russian troops from the area.
“Experts from the National Police in the Kharkiv region have exhumed 59 bodies in Izium today,” said the head of the Kharkiv Regional Military Administration, Oleg Sinegubov, through a message on his Telegram account.
Thus, it has detailed that “the bodies of 16 men and 26 women, civilians, will be handed over for further analysis”, before adding that among the exhumed bodies there are 17 soldiers. “As experts point out, most show signs of a violent death,” she said.
Sinegubov stressed that “more than 450 graves” have been located in the area. “It is a tragic and terrible consequence of a six-month occupation. The world must see the crimes of the Russians so that all the guilty are punished,” he concluded.
For her part, the Minister for the Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories, Irina Vereshchuk, has emphasized that the exhumation and identification work continues in the area, before adding that “some people have already been identified.”
“I will never understand that there can be leaders so insensitive and cruel that they allow themselves to say that there is no genocide. That they can say that (Russia) is not a terrorist state. I hope that democracy and civilized principles prevail,” he argued, according to picked up the Ukrainian news agency Ukrinform.
Ukrainian President Volodimir Zelensky on Saturday accused Russian troops of using torture “widespread” in those Ukrainian territories they “occupy”, while comparing them to the forces of Nazi Germany.