Home NEWS Glastonbury Festival could impose limits on alcohol brought to Worthy Farm under...

Glastonbury Festival could impose limits on alcohol brought to Worthy Farm under plans to improve security

11
0
glastonbury-festival-could-impose-limits-on-alcohol-brought-to-worthy-farm-under-plans-to-improve-security

Glastonbury revellers could face limits on the amount of alcohol they can bring to the festival under a council’s attempts to improve security.

Mendip District Council has proposed introducing restrictions for alcoholic drinks brought to Worthy Farm for the first time ahead of the festival’s 50th anniversary this summer.

Currently there are no rules on the amount of “personal use” alcohol allowed into the grounds.

The measure was among a series of recommendations outlined in a report into last year’s event which was attended by more than 200,000 across five days.

In a report published earlier this month, the council’s licensing committee called for “consideration given to introduce a set limit on the personal amount of alcohol being brought on site thus promoting consistency and fairness”.

No suggested alcohol limits were specified in the document. The proposal was listed under new security recommendations for the 2020 festival after what was described as a “well planned and managed” event last year.

Claire Malcolmson, of the council, said: “The Glastonbury Festival has a worldwide reputation and as such it means that we have a huge responsibility in ensuring that it undertakes its statutory duties.

“The purpose of the licence, the licensing objectives and other legislation is to ensure event organisers provide a safe event whilst minimising disruption and nuisance to the local community.”

The council stressed the organisers were under no legal requirement to implement the recommendation.

Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s head of operations, said: “We consider all responses made by any agency regarding the Festival, and appropriate adjustments and improvements are made for each year’s event”

This year’s festival, which is now the world’s largest, will be held between June 24 and 28.

Tickets sold out in just half an hour. Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift are the only two headliners to have confirmed so far.  

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here