Home NEWS Festivalgoer, 23, killed himself after losing family at Radio 1’s Big Weekend

Festivalgoer, 23, killed himself after losing family at Radio 1’s Big Weekend


A young man took his own life after struggling to find his family at Radio 1’s Big Weekend.

Issac Powner, 23, jumped from a bridge and died on the A174 after leaving the festival in Stewart Park, Middlesbrough on May 25.

The NHS Trust office worker was described by his family as a ‘kind, considerate and loving young man’ in a statement.

Mr Powner had ‘seemed fine’ when he went to breakfast with cousin James Hardman at the Toby Cavery that morning, an inquest at Teesside Coroner’s Court heard on Friday.

After heading to Radio 1’s Big Weekend – which had performances from Stormzy and Lewis Capaldi – he was separated from his family.

The Boro fan was unable to find his cousin after issues with his phone network slowing down due to the number of people in the park.

He sent a message at 7.20pm trying to find him, around two hours before his death.

A policeman saw Mr Powner walking towards him where the road crosses over the A174 moments before he died at around 9.25pm.

PC Kenning, who was stationed on Stokesley Road, said he leaned over the bridge to see Mr Powner ‘laid on the ground’.

His account described how a white BMW had stopped metres from where Mr Powner had landed, only for a ‘loud bang’ to follow as a silver Mazda slammed into the stationary vehicle.

Officers in the area attempted CPR for around 25 minutes before a doctor pronounced Mr Powner dead.

A post mortem found the NHS worker died from multiple injuries and had a blood alcohol level of 202 milograms.

This means he would have been around two to three times over the drink drive limit, a senior coroner for the Teesside Clare Bailey said.

Coroner Clare Bailey said she was satisfied the necessary standard of proof had been met and recorded a verdict of suicide.

After PC Lee Benson reviewed CCTV footage he found there was no third party involvement in the death.

Mr Powner had concerned his family and friends with low moods in the past.

On one occasion in July 2018, he wrote his girlfriend a text ‘which seemed like a suicide note’.

She had urged him to get medical help and open up to his family about his emotions.

However, he was described as a private person who kept issues to himself.

Another incident on January 1 this year saw him head home early from his grandma’s birthday at Swatter’s Carr pub.

His mother noticed he had barely touched the two bottles of Budweiser he had ordered.

Believing it to be unusual, she followed him home and discovered what appeared to be signs of a suicide attempt.

He claimed to have been ‘messing around’ and ‘seemed in good spirits’ in the morning after his mother checked on him all night.

A family statement compiled by his sister Robyn Powner, mum Suzie Henderson-Thynne and girlfriend Bethany Golden, said they thought ‘something must have happened’ in his last two hours at the festival to ‘make him do what he did’.

It said: ‘Isaac was a very funny, kind, considerate and loving young man.

‘He was very close and loved by all his family.

‘He was well liked by all his friend and colleagues.’

The former Ormesby School pupil’s death came as a ‘huge shock’ to those who knew him.

He had attended work all week and had booked a holiday to Benidorm to see his dad Paul Powner.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here