Home NEWS Craig Revel Horwood turned Strictly down at first after branding it ‘car...

Craig Revel Horwood turned Strictly down at first after branding it ‘car crash TV’

13
0
craig-revel-horwood-turned-strictly-down-at-first-after-branding-it-‘car-crash-tv’

Craig Revel Horwood is a fan favourite on the Strictly Come Dancing judging panel, but it turns out he almost wasn’t on the show.

That’s right, when the competition was first pitched to the 54-year-old he said it sounded like ‘car crash TV’ and turn the opportunity down.

However, 15 years later we couldn’t imagine the show without him.

When chatting on Saturday Morning with James Martin, he said: ‘The BBC got hold of me and said would I come in and have a screen test for this new dance show they were doing with celebrities called Strictly Come Dancing.

‘I said, “Well, what does it entail?” and they said, “A celebrity will have to learn to dance with a professional and then they dance live on the TV.”‘

He added: ‘I said, “That sounds like a car crash to me, car crash TV. Absolutely not, that sounds appalling.”

‘”There’s no way that any celebrity that has never danced before could possibly compete or come in with someone that has been training since they were three. It’s physically impossible and I said it’s just going to be awful.”‘

Turning his attention to the host, who appeared on the show back in 2005, the dancing pro said: ‘But you proved me wrong!’

James laughed: ‘I don’t know whether I proved you wrong. I think I proved you right, to be honest.’

Last week’s show caused controversy when Mike Bushell was put through over Coronation Street star Catherine Tyldesley.

Since then, the sports presenter has received death threats from internet trolls – however, it seems the judges have his back.

Defending their decision to save the 53-year-old, Craig said: ‘There’s a lot of things that are disgusting that you would never write…that I can’t put in my books.

‘[On Twitter] you are self-publishing, you have to be responsible for what you say and take the consequences of it. He’s in a competition, in my eyes his tango was better.’

Strictly Come Dancing continues tonight on BBC One. 



Got a showbiz story?

If you’ve got a story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk Entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

MORE: Sam Smith may never tour again after ‘meltdowns’ on the road: ‘I don’t want to lose my mind’

MORE: Kim Kardashian is aunt goals as she celebrates Dream’s birthday with family party


TV

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here