A cat has been saved from a sooty death, six days after it climbed into a chimney.
Jenny and David Williams heard a mysterious scratching in their walls followed by its miaows.
Fortunately they don’t use the chimney at their home in Ilfracombe, Devon, so the cat – whose name is actually Cat – was not smoked out.
They contacted rescuers from North Devon Animal Ambulance and Metro Rod work worked together to co-ordinate the rescue.
Metro Rod used their kit to find the cat using a specialist camera and saw two eyes shining back at them through the darkness.
They then used the rod to tease the cat out of the chimney, showing it the way to freedom.
Operations manger Dave Tafner said: ‘We could not refuse when someone comes with a story like that.
‘It touched the heart strings, so the least we could do was send somebody up there.
‘The camera got quite close to the animal and there is some footage of it playing with the camera lens and building up a bit of confidence to take the plunge and realise it could come down.’
Diana, from the animal rescue charity, said: ‘The daily news is full of horror and stories of inhumanity but the endless individual acts of kindness seem to receive little or no acknowledgement.
‘In this case a number of people gave their time and expertise to help a cat.
‘It could have been an abused child, a homeless person or someone who fell in the street.
‘The fact is that we should all be grateful that we still live in a country where ordinary citizens care enough to put their lives on hold to do something that will improve another life.’
Jenny said that she had since met with the grateful owners of the missing cat who said he was currently being cared for at the NDAA clinic in Barnstaple.