A family have launched a campaign against a hotel where their wedding reception descended into a mass brawl.
Guests at the Ramada Hotel in Wolverhampton were left covered in blood and three people were taken to hospital as police were called to the ruckus.
No arrests were made and staff said the matter had been resolved amicably, but now the bride and groom’s family have threatened to sue the hotel for an alleged breach of privacy.
Staging a protest outside the Grade II-listed hotel, they claimed workers at the hotel filmed the fight and uploaded it to social media, where it was shared by thousands of people.
Some wore hi-vis yellow jackets and held placards with slogans including ‘Absolute Invasion of Privacy’ and ‘No Duty of Care’.
Family members have formed The Ramada Injured Party Action Group and are demanding an apology from the hotel for its alleged failings on October 12.
The venue was filled with the sound of screams and smashing glass as the violence erupted.
The group claims people could have been seriously injured as a result of poor crowd control and say guests are suffering ‘ongoing trauma’ at the chaotic scene being shared online.
West Midlands Police have also been criticised for closing the main gates of the hotel for a short period, which the family says prevented ambulance crews from accessing the site.
The group says they received a bill for £85,000 to cover damages at the wedding of 500 guests.
Ramada denied all accusations and said the figure quoted is ‘ridiculous’ and nowhere near the actual amount.
A spokesman for the hotel said: ‘These claims are all fabricated. We refute them entirely.’
West Midlands Ambulance Service received at least nine calls about the punch-up.
A teenage girl who was working at the event was taken to New Cross Hospital along with two men, who had facial injuries.
Paramedics assessed another man at the scene, also for facial injuries.
West Midlands Police said the criticism of their response was new to them.
A spokesman said: ‘Officers have conducted extensive CCTV enquiries and spoken to several people present at the venue, however no complaints have been made.
‘Therefore the matter has been filed pending any new information.’
At the time of the incident a spokesperson for the Ramada said: ‘Having hosted hundreds of weddings we have never seen scenes like this.
‘We do not accept this behaviour and would like to praise the quick thinking of our team who immediately contacted the emergency services.
‘Fortunately, there hasn’t been any lasting damage and the room has been fully reinstated.
‘The families of the bride and groom have offered to pay for the damages in full.’